Archive for October, 2011

Bead workshop

This month the Maple Leaf Quilt Guild‘s speaker was Lisa Walton of Sydney, Australia. Often, when we bring in a special speaker, there is a workshop offered the next day. Way back in the spring I signed up for Lisa’s workshop. Why? I have followed her blog for a long time. I was originally taken in by her beautiful hand dyed fabrics. Then she started making amazing beaded creations. While she often teaches several types of quilting classes, I was especially excited that this was going to be her beading workshop AND her beaded button class all rolled into one.

I’ve done some beading before with knowledge I’ve gleaned from books and other publications but I’ve never taken a class. The first half of the day was devoted to a half dozen basic stitches used to add beading to fabric. Here are some pictures of my sampler.

The afternoon concentrated on putting those stitches to use in making a beaded button.

Lisa was a wonderful speaker. She gave us a great over view of the development of her fabric dyeing business Dyed and Gone to Heaven. She included her rising fascination with beads, pictures of her new studio and brought along a stack of lovely quilts, many of which I had seen before in pictures. What a treat to see them in person.

Lisa is headed to the International Quilt Festival in Houston, the ultimate in quilt show experiences. She’ll be teaching several classes there. What a treat it was to meet her and get to know her a little bit.

Fall color

Mountain Vistas Art Chair

Recently I was asked to decorate a chair to benefit the local food pantry Black River Good Neighbors.  The chair that was supplied was an old fashioned ice cream parlor chair – round seat with wire back and legs.  I settled on the idea to do a slip cover with a quilted back and seat.

The first step was to clean up and paint the chair.  Since I was going to cover it, it just got a plain white coat of paint.  As I began to plan the artwork, I also needed to think about how to engineer the slipcover so it would fit  and look the way I had envisioned.  I made a muslin to test the design.  Then I took it apart to check the paper patterns I had made.  I used the muslin to cut the final pieces (which still needed additional alterations as I was putting the final pieces together).

The artwork for the back was made raw edge collage style.  I did edge the pieces with fusible web so fraying would be kept under control but I’m hoping the lucky bidder will realized that the cover will not stand up to rough wear.

And I hope it will raise a nice sum for the folks who do such a good job caring for those who need it in our community.


Categories

Art Every Day Month

Pages

Archives

Blog Stats

  • 110,621 hits
October 2011
M T W T F S S
« Sep   Nov »
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31