Fabric projects

Ok, enough about little squiggly things I dipped out of the stream.  I’m letting them go because sadly, some of them have died.  I don’t know if they used up all the oxygen in the water or what but I hope some of them make it.  The clumps still in the stream are developing, just a bit more slowly.

On to what I’ve been doing on the sewing machine.  Some time ago, my friend Colleen referenced this blog that had directions for a little fabric basket.  With all the scraps I had left over from Ellen’s quilt, I thought it might be fun to try one before I put everything away.  Of course, I needed to tweek the directions because my squares were going to be a different size.  And then after I made one, I had to make a few more.  And then I thought a larger size would be nice.  Oh my.  Thankfully, I stopped myself from making a tiny one (but I thought about it)!  These two pictured here are going to a mystery home (I’m sure I’ll hear when they arrive) and if you want to make some, you can because they are easy and quick.  I might make a few more… but maybe not.  BTW, those pieced squares are about 1.25″; that gives you a sense of how big the finished product is.

I belong to the Maple Leaf Quilt Guild and this month’s meeting featured Joan Shay of Petal Play fame.  She uses a technique of fusing that allows her to sculpt her pieces into 3D.  She publishes lots of flower patterns and kits.  And they are lovely.  I am not a big kit or pattern fan but I thought her methods might be useful down the road, so I signed up for her workshop the next day.  Besides, a friend who I haven’t spent time with recently was taking the workshop and we had a chance to catch up a bit.

The class was in making Joan’s African Violet pattern.  Being the rogue student that I am, I didn’t want to make a kit and I didn’t want to make purple like everyone else.  I had taken some nice raspberry colored fabrics for the flowers and lovely soft greens and creams for leaves and background.   The flowers and leaves are all done with Joan’s Appli-bond technique and are not fused down to the background.  Instead, they are sewn on using embroidery floss in stem stitch and with the beads.  I had hoped to use French knots but I couldn’t get the pearle cotton I had taken with me through the special needle needed to go through the bonded pieces.  When I got home, I cut out a pot and fused it on to give it a sense of place instead of just flowers floating in the air.  The quilting also hints at a table and wall – seems much more grounded to me.  All in all it was a fun day.  My finished quilt is just under 12″x14″.

Advertisements

1 Response to “Fabric projects”


  1. 1 Colleen Kole April 24, 2010 at 7:25 pm

    I like them- so pretty. I am using mine for little blocks I am making -right next to my machine. They are very rewarding to make. Addictive -yes.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




Categories

Art Every Day Month

Pages

Archives

Blog Stats

  • 110,610 hits
April 2010
M T W T F S S
« Mar   May »
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

%d bloggers like this: